I come from Chiang Mai where is in the northern part of Thailand. I'd love to share and show you how beautiful, unique and fascinating it is. Well, I wanna say " Welcome to my town"....

มาฮู้จัก เจียงใหม่ของเฮาเน้อเจ้า

Letters by Whateverlife.comLetters by Whateverlife.comLetters by Whateverlife.comLetters by Whateverlife.comLetters by Whateverlife.comLetters by Whateverlife.comLetters by Whateverlife.comLetters by Whateverlife.comLetters by Whateverlife.comLetters by Whateverlife.com

About Me

Sa waddee jao! it's a Thai northern language which means "Hello". My name is "A", I'm a self-taught quilter. I quilt by order, price is reasonable for handmade quilting products ...I love trying new things, learning new quilting lesson by myself. I also love traveling,taking pictures and cooking, so I think this site will be represented everything about me. Hope you enjoy my site that I would love to share with you guys! God bless you ^__^

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Sankamphaeng....where I live

Sankamphaeng is one of district in Chiang Mai where I was born and live there. Actually, I should say I live very close to Sankamphaeng because when I cross the bridge near by my house, it will be Sankamphaeng!!! hahaha.

Sankamphaeng is one of unique place in Chiang Mai that I would like to show you. It's named " The Land of Arts and Crafts" because there are many handicraft industries. You will see all these traditional and new craft shops along Sankamphaeng Road! For example,

LACQUERWARE : Lacquerware is made at several locations along the Sankampaeng Road. This ancient art form of decorating wooden objects with many layers of black lacquer provides a combination of beauty and practicality.



CELADON : The finest of Thai ceramics, Celadon, with its soft green and blue tones, has long been produced in the North. The blending of local clays and wood ash to make the glazes has been passed along from one generation to another for centuries. Celadon items of beauty and quality are on display in several major shops in the Sankampaeng area.




SILK and TEXTILES :Thailand is famous worldwide for its fine, pure silk and Chiangmai produces some of the finest. Sankampaeng Road is home to several shops where you can select ready made products or have and arrangement for your own tailoring. Handwoven and ethnic textile designs for the collector are also offered.



WOODCARVING : Another feature of Sankampaeng that you don't want to miss is the woodcarving industry. The skilled craftsmen are professional experts in carving fine teakwood in reliefs, statuary, and furniture. A wide range of handcrafted souvenirs are also available.


UMBRELLA MAKING : Borsarng, on Sankampaeng Road, has been the traditional center of Chiangmai's famous umbrella and fan making. Here the handpainted wares are made of delicate "Sa" paper are available in more designs than ever before.








SILVERWARE : Silversmithing in Chiangmai began centuries ago along Wualai Road, an area still known as the Silver village. But today many of the silver markets are on the Sankampaeng Road. Traditional items such as trays, bowls, boxes and much more are made at the Sankampaeng sites.



HILLTRIBE CRAFTS : The people of the northern hilltribes produce fascinating cultural items of beautifully crafted silver, colorful embroideries, and handwoven textiles. Several shops on the Sankampaeng Road specialize in hilltribe art.




I hope you would like to visit Chiang Mai, my hometown, after getting to know it more,right?

No comments: